We list the top 5 activities that attract tourists holidaying in Kovalam – don’t forget to include them in your itinerary!
A holiday in Kerala is full of eating sumptuous food, cycling on shaded roads and exploring the countryside. But the most fun is to be had at the beaches, and Kerala has lots of them. If you are planning a restful holiday by the beach, with stunning views and great food, a trip to Kovalam can help you relax.
Here’s why Kovalam is a favourite among travellers, and what you should do once you get there:
- Book a beach resort. A Kovalam holiday is all about rest and rejuvenation, with the tangy sea breezes and glorious beach views for company. Get your trip to a flying start by booking yourself into a beach resort – that way, you will always have the sea for company on your holiday. If you’re looking for a good Kovalam beach resort, you should look into the best one – The Leela Kovalam, which is India’s only cliff top beach resort and which has every pleasing prospect for the discerning traveller. The hotel also has an amazing monsoon offer – all through the season, it offers the rejuvenating 5-night Karkidakam wellness treatment package that offers traditional healing therapies and special meals.
- Eat a hearty meal. Kovalam does itself proud by offering a large variety of traditional meals and snacks. But you can also find international cuisines at the choicest restaurants and cafes. So after a morning of exploration, you can tuck into a warm meal at your hotel’s restaurant, or head out for brunch at the German Bakery (their cheese and bread dishes are hearty and amazingly tasty).
- Go surfing. What’s the point of a Kovalam holiday if you don’t go surfing? If you don’t want to just tan yourself and laze under a beach umbrella with a cool drink all day, you can take a surfing lesson. That’s right, there’s a surfing club at Kovalam where professional surfers teach you the basics of surfing and you can take the boogie board out and surf to your heart’s content.
- Explore the beaches. But if you would rather just laze about and take in the beauty of the beaches, you can spend a day at the stunning Kovalam beach. Or if you want to combine a walk and climb with exploring, then head to the Lighthouse Beach – it offers scenic views from the top and you will be hard pressed to find such a beautiful beach this side of town.
- Get an Ayurvedic massage. Kovalam is known for its excellent Ayurvedic massages, which detox the body and make the skin and hair shine. Get the excesses of the city out of your system with a healing massage at the Santhigiri Ayurvedic Heritage Centre. Or if you’re staying at The Leela Kovalam, you can avail of the many services at the hotel’s Ayurvedic and wellness spa.