What is yogurt? How is it made? Why and how is it beneficial?
Yogurt otherwise called curd is a thick, custard or pudding-like food, made by the normal bacterial fermentation of milk. The process of making it involves refined cream or milk with live and active bacterial cultures; this is done by adding bacteria directly to the milk. Commercially, it is made with a culture of Lactobacillus acidophilus and Streptococcus thermophilis (names of the bacteria used really taking shape of yogurt).
There are numerous sorts (plain and flavored) yogurts found in the supermarket these days.
It can likewise be easily made at home by heating the milk to a little more that luke warm (say 45°C) and including a little (1 Tbsp) of yogurt to it. Blend and keep it undisturbed in a warm place for 6-7 hours or until set. However in the event that you don’t have any at home, you can purchase yogurt culture packs from the supermarket and take after the directions given, to make a wonderful yogurt at home.
What makes curd very beneficial is the live cultures. Active live cultures are essentially great bacteria that are necessary for the body to work taking care of business. These friendly bacteria prevent the development of destructive bacteria that cause bacterial infections and diseases. Eating curd regularly can help restore your great bacteria levels.
Yogurt is the best and nutritive dairy alternative for anyone who is lactose intolerant, as the live culture in it reduces the level of lactose.
Yogurt/Curd and Good Health
There are numerous ways that yogurt is beneficial – the friendly bacteria are friendly indeed!
- Friendly bacteria promote digestive health and support the immune system. Curd With Active Cultures Helps the Gut.
- Yogurt with active cultures might help certain gastrointestinal conditions like obstruction, diarrhea, colon cancer and incendiary bowel disease.
- Good bacteria prevent imbalances in the body’s yeast levels, which can prevent different types of yeast infections.
- Prevents urinary tract infections.
- If you are taking antibiotics, they might be destroying the great bacteria present in your body. Eating yogurt regularly can help restore your great bacteria levels.
- Prevents Osteoporosis
- It is likewise a decent source of protein, which helps give the body energy to keep you going for the duration of the day. Protein is an essential building hinder for some systems in the body, including your muscles. Protein is additionally useful for checking your appetite and helping you feel full for a longer period of time.
- May Reduce the Risk of High Blood Pressure.
How to incorporate Yogurt in your day by day diet
- Eat Yogurt as a dessert – Chop your favorite organic products in the yogurt, include a little honey or sugar and eat it chilled.
- Eat Raita (a yogurt plunge) – Add fresh organic products or vegetables to the yogurt, flavor it with herbs and spices and eat it alongside your food.
- Replace your regular mayonnaise with a yogurt based healthy mayonnaise.
- Enjoy cool Yogurt shakes or Lassi – Blend together yogurt, sugar, ice and mango (whatever other natural product or none by any stretch of the imagination). Relax on a summer afternoon.
- Eat low fat yogurt as it seems to be. No need to add anything to it. A dish of low fat curd is healthy, filling and low in calories.
- Use it in your cooking – Instead of including cream, add yogurt to make your curries and stews. It will make the food creamy and taste wonderful.
Yogurt based home remedies
- Having Indigestion? Try not to stress. Treat it with Yogurt. – Yogurt remedy for Indigestion or heaviness in stomach. Indigestion – Blend ¼ teaspoon pepper powder, ¼ teaspoon of roasted cumin (jeera) powder to a glass of diluted yogurt (1/2 yogurt and half water). Have this 1-2 times per day.
- To Subside Heart Burn – Take 1 tsp fenugreek seed (methi daana) powder alongside diluted yogurt (1/2 yogurt and 1/2 water) twice every day for a few days.
- To treat diarrhea – Pulverize 8-10 curry leaves (curry patta). Blend with a measure of diluted yogurt and have 2-3 times per day. On the other hand Blend 1 tsp Isabgol (Psyllium seed husks) in 1 container yogurt and eat. Eat only yogurt and boiled rice for a few days.
Topical uses of yogurt
- Cure your pimples and acne.
- Cures dandruff and bothersome scalp.
- Treats dry skin and removes blemishes.
- Use yogurt for a soft, clear and supple skin, enhances inner beauty